Monday, February 15, 2010

Ork Trukk - Part 2 - The Box & Engine Block

This was actually one of the pieces of the Trukk which had me a little worried in terms of assembly and painting. The engine was the second. Both have been a breeze thus far, though I've not connected the various pipes to the engine yet. All in all, a pretty sound reason for me to read the instructions before planning a model.

Without further ado, I wanted to use pretty much the same paint scheme with the box as the chassis, but I also wanted it to look a little different from the remainder of the model. I went as before, but dry brushed Reaper Shadowed Steel to give the metal a darker look. Blackened Steel and Honed Steel were both used on the patch plates, but I can see having to go over them again since they don't stand out much presently. The inside of the window cuts was done with Reaper Honed Steel. I plan to follow up the remainder of the detailing similarly. The glyphs on the side were done in Reaper Sunburst Yellow. The wrappings on the roll bars were done in Citadel Grave Yard Earth, then dry brushed with Reaper Half-Orc Highlight and Reaper Leather Brown, then washed with Citadel Devlan Mud. The bed of the Trukk also recieved a dry brush of Reaper Half-Orc Highlight to try to make it look a little dusty. The verdict is out on that one.

The engine block was base coated with Reaper Adamantium Black. From there, I added a 50/50 mix of Reaper Rust Brown and Adikolor Rust to a few spots on the block. I dry brushed the entire thing with Reaper Tarnished Steel. I'm not entirely sure that the rust mix gave me the effect I was looking for, but I'll get some pipes test fitted to the block and take a look from there.





I seem to be using a lot of dry brushing on this model. I've found that's the best way to get a good, crappy, scrap metal look for Ork stuff. I'm planning to apply some colour using a fairly heavy over brush once the model is assembled. Hopefully that will give me a beaten up and cobbled together look for the Trukk.

No comments:

Post a Comment