Saturday, February 20, 2010

Today was a 1850 point tourney at the Gamer's Lair. Since I'm finally back in Barrie, Sean and I made our lists, packed up our armies and headed over.

All in all, it was a pretty good day. Sean took Best General and I had a fun couple of games. Some very nice armies there.

Here's my list:

Mugwort’s Mad Horde – 1844 point Ork Mob

HQ:

Mugwort da Warphead – 90 points

Mad Dok Grotsnik – 165 points

Troops:

30 Grotz & 3 Runtherdz – 285 points

30 Grotz & 3 Runtherdz – 285 points

19 Grotz & 1 Runtherdz – 167 points

19 Grotz & 1 Runtherdz – 167 points

Fast Attack:

3 Wartrakk Skorchas – 150 points

3 Wartrakks – 120 points

Heavy Support:

4 Flash Gitz & Painboy & Ammo Runt & Grot Orderly – 310 points

Da Orkalith (Battlewagon)– 125 points

3 Killa Kans – 185 points

All of the infantry had Cybork Bodies and the Flash Gitz were fully kitted out.

So, far from a competitive army, but it's always fun to play and play against.

I brought my first Grot army to the first Gamer's Lair tourney of 2009 and it was great. This year, I actually missed the first tourney (I was still in San Antonio at the time), so I decided to bring the Grotz to this one. Two things stood in my way. First, I didn't have enough Grotz. A mob of thirty Grotz just wasn't going to cut it in a tournament this big, no way, no how. Nic came to the rescue with an additional 68 Grotz! Definitely a step in the right direction, but I was still light, so we put in Mad Dok Grotsnik and the Orkalith. Then, it became the game of 'what haven't I tried much?' in came the Flash Gitz, Wartrakks, Skorchas and the Warphead. In terms of scoring, I came in dead last in Generalship, but they're Grotz, so it's OK. I did however, learn a couple of things.

First, Wierdboyz are good and weird and entertaining. I figured it'd get old after a game, but it didn't. These guys aren't built to last though. The 5+ Invulnerable Save from the Cybork Body got used a fair bit, but even that is pretty much base level. The Warphead upgrade is pretty much crucial to giving him a shot at surviving his own powers. Fun unit, but a soft target, I'm thinking he's probably got a better home with a Mob of Shoota Boyz than a mob of Slugga Boyz.

Flash Gitz are also fun. If you want to soak points, the guys are second only to Nobz. I like the idea of the Snazzguns and the funky upgrades. You'd think it would take something besides random AP to make these guys fun, but that's about it. I'm probably going to make some Flash Gitz this year (I used Nobz with various Shootas to proxy at this tourney) because I've got some great ideas.

War Trakks. These were a huge win! Yes, I lost a total of four of them to failed dangerous terrain checks in the course of two games (losing two Skorchas that way during Turn 1 of my first game just made me shake my head), but the mobility was great and they were fun to use. Once I'm done with my current Orky projects, I'll likely add some bikes, buggies and War Trakks.

My army on the first game facing Deathwing.



No comments:

Post a Comment